More than 230 civilians lost their lives in a week: UN
According to a statement made by the United Nations, more than 230 civilian lost lives in Syria last week in the air strikes carried out by the Syrian regime and Russia.
Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, said that more than 230 civilians have lost their lives in the air strikes that carried out by the Syrian regime and Russia last week in the territories controlled by opponents.
Zeid Ra'ad al-Hussein, U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights, said his office had received reports including video footage of possible use of “toxic agents” on Feb. 4 in the opponents-held town of Saraqeb, Idlib province. "After seven years of paralysis in the [U.N.] Security Council, the situation in Syria is crying out to be referred to the International Criminal Court, as well as for a much more concerted effort by States to bring peace," Zeid said in a statement.
"The latest events come as the Syrian people suffer through one of the most violent periods in nearly seven years of conflict. Over 1,000 civilian casualties from airstrikes were reported in the first week of February alone," also said Stéphane Dujarric, Spokesman for the Secretary-General in a statement.
At the beginning of the week, a one-month ceasefire proposal was rejected by Russia to allow UN humanitarian officials to deliver medicines and food aid to areas under siege.